Skip to main content

The Dream

I dreamt a wonderful dream last night,
A dream so vivid, it almost was real
I stood in a huge and beautiful field
And screeched out a cry as down did I kneel
This call would summon my means of flight

A griffin, so wild, so untamed and free
Swiftly it sped its way down to my feet
Its feathers and fur both silky to touch
As I climbed on its back and held onto this seat
The griffin turned back and then spoke to me

"My master," he said, "We now go to fly,
We'll fly from this place and the people around,"
(At the moment some people came into the field)
"These people would tie you and keep you to ground
They want you to stay, but to stay is to die."

We launched off to air while the people did run,
They grabbed at my legs--endeavored to pull
But the griffin's wings beat them and caused them to fall
We sped up to where all the hot air turned cool
And then turned back down to escape from the sun

The thrill now of flying ran through me like fire,
The speed and the height both combined to delight
My griffin now swooped down and wheeled through the air,
I felt down beneath all his muscles and might
We'd escaped from the people--and now we flew higher

And just as thus far now the griffin had borne me,
When a beautiful castle had come into sight
(Which we doubtless had headed for and now had arrived)
My eyes then were opened by shining sunlight
The dream now had ended--and all by the sea.