Skip to main content

Upheld

An ocean wide and deep flows under me
But I am upheld
An island, a paradise, waits for me
And I shall travel far to get there
And I am upheld
An eagle great on His wings is bearing me with strength unknown to me
The waves sometimes are quiet, calm
And pass beneath without a sound
Save a gentle lapping noise
And the sun in the distance rises and sets
All things are the same, and joy fills my heart
Sometimes the ocean churns in turmoil
Tempests mighty shriek and blow
The wind around me threatens to throw me into the churning water
I am terrified, and I clutch closer lest I fall into those frightening waves
And the sun never rises nor sets,
And darkness reigns over the turbulent sea
Yet joy still fills my heart
For I am upheld
He knows I need to learn His grace
He knows I need to feel the smashing waves
He loves me, and thus cannot let me forego this suffering
That brings me wisdom and joy and draws me nearer to Him
And dipping down, He lowers me gently into the ocean
Yet He glides over the water, low
And never does He let me slip from His grasp
And as the terror of the storming ocean rages
I am tempted to forget the strong One holding me, and then
I see another one like I, also upheld by the mighty eagle
And he speaks to me words of encouragement:
“The waves shall not hurt you
Shall not overwhelm you
For He is your God and will never forsake you
I, also, have tasted the waters,
Now I know
His grace will uphold me, forever, I know”
And even as the other speaks these words,
I am lifted from the tempests and trials
And looking down I am given fuller understanding
And my heart is filled with greater joy
The raging, full, terrible storm is given me by the same One
Who gives me the peaceful, calm ocean
For both show me greatly His love and His grace
And the island still waits, and He still bears me there
And I am upheld