Skip to main content

Prayer

my dear neglected Friend:

I don't know why
it's been so long
since I last talked to you.
asked you for help, yes
asked you for blessing, yes
asked you for care, yes
but I don't know why
it's been so long
since I last talked to you.

are you a wish-giver,
that I should demand from you?
are you a slave,
that I should command you?
I know you are
Delighted Father,
Beloved Friend--
yet I thirst and hunger
to know more.

shall I tell you everything?
it's been so long,
I don't remember where to start.

God, I want to see
your blinding beauty
and there fix my gaze
forevermore.
God, I am helpless--
do you watch me,
do you see what I have done?
I can do nothing good
on my own.

I am tangled in the mess of life.

My soul cries out
More love to thee, O Christ
More love to thee
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
I know this while I sing:
Thy love to me, O Lord
Not mine, O Lord, to Thee
Can rid me of this dark unrest
And set my spirit free.
Lord, I want to see
your endless love
and gaze therein
forevermore.

you alone
can satisfy my longings--
so I don’t know why
it’s been so long
since I last talked to you.